A little history to start off with.. I was in my early teens when the Atari 2600 first came out. I remember going to Sears and playing whatever they had running on the console in the store, of course that was the Sears version of the 2600. Eventually, after a lot of begging, my mother bought me an Atari 2600. I had a hand full of game cartridges, but over time lost interest after getting my first computer, a TRS-80 model 1. Eventually, the 2600 got sold when I need money, something I always regretted. By the way, I still have that old TRS-80 and it works fine and looks good.
Fast forward to about a year and a half ago, the need to have an Atari again got to me, and I bought a used 6-switch model that came with 10 games, power supply and game switch:) I did end up having to take it apart and clean it out. Lot’s of carpet fiber inside, and the switches were glitchy. So I cleaned them and greased them and got them working good as new. And that was enough to make me happy just having it again. don’t play it a lot, just good to have it around again.
Lately I’ve lost interest in online gaming and virtual 3D world chat rooms that I have been doing in recent years with the ever increasing number of cheaters and twits, so I’ve been getting my Atari itch again, and watched a few videos of other collectors and realized I wanted to to get more into the Atari. So I found a local store that sold used games and picked up Tron Deadly Discs and Pole Position and had a blast playing them when I got home:)
I also bought a few more games on feebay and picked up a 2600 Jr a few days ago. The was a fair price, but not a great bargain, but I wanted it since it’s compact and would fit on the table by the couch better then the 6-switch.
Well then I got it home.. The seller said it was working, yada yada.. The switches were making poor contact and stiff, so after seeing a video about cleaning them decided to take it apart and have at it. Soon as I opened the case I realized the real reason the guy was selling it.. The inside were covered in dried, sticky pop.. The channel switch was un-moveable, power switch hardly worked, voltage regulator section was covered in goo and so on… So I began the cleaning, and having seen the video on youtube, knew it could take some fairly rough cleaning.
I ended up spraying it with contact cleaner, then soaking the main board in a sink for of dish soap, scrubbed with tooth paste, rinsed with water, flushed with rubbing alcohol, then just blasted with more contact clearing then finely dried in the oven at low temperature. The case also got a complete cleaning too.
Put back together and tested, it’s working fine now, the switches work right and it runs as it should and looks pretty good to, epically considering how it was abused. I still have to get it a new power supply, I’m using the one from my 6-switch for now, and another joystick would be good too.
So the plan is now to collect more games at I fine them, both games that are for play and for collecting in general. Maybe get another variation of the 2600 if I find a heavy 6 or vader for a decent price. So that’s my ramblings for for now…